The Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf and Spa is situated in what is now a designated 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty', a title that has been given to this area since the original golf clubhouse and two championship golf courses were built here in the early 1970's. Before then this acreage, which was relatively infertile, was used for arable crops.
The area has now been sensitively transformed into a forested, emerald landscape, full of natural water features, as well as some picturesque lakes, which harness the streams for the irrigation of the golf courses and apple orchards.
The hotel owners are proud of this transformation, and are very determined and aware that it is their duty to continue to preserve and enhance the inherent beauty of this special corner of Suffolk. Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf and Spa are committed to minimise their carbon footprint by implementing as many environmental and sustainable initiatives as possible.
Sustainable golf, working towards long term ecological and environmental goals.
* They have planted more than 60,000 indigenous trees during the past 40 years over the two courses
* A pro-active woodland management system
* Pest and disease control are carried out within an IPM (integrated pest management) programme to minimise the use of fertilisers and chemicals into the environment
* Regular ecological assessments are carried out via English Nature, STRI and the EGU
* They work closely with the Environment Agency, Suffolk Wildlife Trust, Writtle and Otley Colleges, the PGA and European Seniors Tour to ensure best practice is maintained
* They log fallen trees into piles to encourage wild life
* A register is kept of any hazardous materials, and such materials are securely stored and usage is monitored
* Their hedges are managed to encourage their use as nesting sites for the numerous birds in the area
* They compost all their grass cuttings and leaves to be re-used on site
* They have a sophisticated computerised system to make best use of water resources
Energy/Waste Management Initiatives:
* They use wherever possible low energy lamps equating now to 60% of the hotel lighting or low voltage light fittings
* The heating/lighting in their 50 recently built bedrooms is only activated when a key card is placed in a designated slot
* Most of their public areas, function rooms, toilets etc. are on movement detector sensors, which will only activate lights once movement is detected
* Their heating systems are on time clocks
* Stopover guests are encouraged to re-use towels/linen each day to save on washing energy and detergent
* Inverter driven heating systems are used throughout the Hotel as an alternative to more traditional heating systems
* They use water savers in all flushing toilets
* Their used fluorescent lamps are separated and go to a specialised disposal company
* An in-line oil/chemical catchment tank has been fitted to the storm drain leading from the maintenance facility and car park
* They use thermal covers on the swimming pool and spa to prevent heat loss when pool areas are closed
* They use local companies and manufacturers for their produce and supplies
* Warm air is heated by reclaimed heat from the pool
* Low levels of chemicals are used in the pool
Food and Beverage
* All of their kitchen oil is sent for recycling
* Bottles are recycled via their own bottle bank
* Re-use of envelopes and other paper for internal communication
* Use of e-mail wherever possible to save on paper
* They recycle their empty ink cartridges and toners
Health and Safety
* All staff and machinery are kept to Health & Safety guidelines alongside an on-going staff training programme
* Wherever possible they will employ local people
* At each induction and during training it is stressed to new staff members that they have a social and environmental responsibility to turn off lights, heating and air conditioning when rooms are not in use
Wine and dine this spring and enjoy a bottle of chilled Prosecco in you room, 3-course dinner & full breakfast from only £64.50 per person.
From £129.00 Per room per nightSuffolk Explorer incl. dinner, packed lunch & cream tea
Explore Suffolk from £74.75 per person, per night - includes a cream tea; 3-course table d'hôte dinner; 1 x packed lunch per person on your second day; full use of the superb leisure facilities; and full English breakfast.
From £149.50 Per room per night
Fax: +44 (0)1483 73 02 02