Weetwood Hall Hotel, Leeds, is situated on the northern ring road, 4 miles from Leeds city centre. Originally a 17th century manor house, Weetwood Hall Hotel is a fine 4-star hotel set within 9 acres of woodland and gardens. It is the closest 4-star hotel to Leeds/Bradford Airport, and ideally placed for visiting Harrogate, York and the Yorkshire Dales. Weetwood Hall Hotel has outstanding conference facilities and offers easy access the M1, M62, M621 and A1 motorways.
Original features and state-of-the-art technology combine perfectly at Weetwood Hall. The original Manor House was built in 1625 and has been gradually extended. There are 106 well equipped en-suite bedrooms offering six different styles of accommodation from junior double to luxury bedrooms. Rooms in the Manor House have period features whilst the rooms in the newer wing are more contemporary in style.
The hotel has three dining options - the Woodlands Restaurant, the contemporary style Brasserie and Conservatory that looks out over the Italian Gardens, and the traditional style Stables pub. Serving locally sourced food on its menus, Weetwood Hall is also one of the few Leeds hotels with an award winning Stables pub in its grounds, serving Cask Marque real ales.
Residents of Weetwood Hall enjoy complimentary leisure facilities at nearby Cookridge Hall Health and Fitness with transport provided at designated times. Preferential rates are also available at five local golf courses within a few miles of Weetwood Hall.
The award winning Weetwood Hall is one of the finest conference centres in the north of England. With 36 conference rooms it is the first Leeds hotel and conference centre in the north to be awarded AIM gold accreditation by Meetings Industry Association (MIA). State-of-the-art technology can be found within the purpose built conference centre, the largest room seating up to 200 delegates. This coupled with its superb location and transport links makes it the perfect choice for meetings or events in Leeds.
Weetwood Hall is also one of the few Leeds hotels offering extensive free parking.
All 106 en-suite rooms offer Satellite/Freeview flat screen televisions with 20 TV/radio channels including Sky Sports amd two sub-titled channels, complimentary, unlimited WiFi, an alarm clock, beverage tray with tea and coffee making facilities, mineral water and chocolate, hairdryer, international direct dial telephone, trouser press and iron, key card access, razor electrical socket, smoke alarms and temperature control. The majority of rooms are non-smoking. 14 rooms are located in the original Manor House.
It is fairly certain that an ancient farm was in existence on this site in the 16th Century. The oldest part of the Manor House with stone mullioned windows dates from around 1540.
The estate was in the possession of the Foxcroft family for at least 100 years from the latter half of the 16th Century. A history of Leeds refers to Weetwood as "Where a pleasant seat ..." was rebuilt by Daniel Foxcroft Esq. in 1625 as dated above the porch of the original entrance.
Decorative plasterwork as seen on the ceilings in the Manor House came to England through Henry VIII. It is thought that Daniel Foxcroft added the designs of the Tudor Rose, Lion of England and the thistle amongst others in the early part of the 17th Century. As you look up after entering via the original porch-way a framed lion's head can still be seen in the ceiling.
In the 18th Century it is recorded that Weetwood was owned by John Gelder as in 1743 an advertisement appeared "To be lett, Weetwood Hall, situate in the township of Hedingley in the parish of Leeds" was put up for sale.
Shortly afterwards the property came into the possession of the Whalley family and in 1813 it was bought by the Beckett family although they never lived there; it was occupied for some years by Joseph Oates. After various tenancies the property was altered and extended by Alf Cooke, a self-made, wealthy Yorkshire man whose initials can still be seen on the stone columns that support the wrought iron gates by the main entrance.
During the 1914-18 war the Hall was requisitioned by the war office and used as a convalescent hospital for officers.
The university bought the estate in 1919 with the house becoming a Hall of residence for women students and the land being farmed by tenant farmers. Up to 30 young women took up residence and were given grants to cover their residence fees. The vision was that these students who would hopefully become teachers would recognise the immense value of living in such a Hall.
Plans were soon made to extend the Hall with a large main block built between 1925-1927.
Extracts from M. B. Carey Ll.B. Warden 1948-1967
Weetwood continued as a Hall of residence through to the 1990's when the decision was made to close the facility. In 1993 Weetwood Hall started its new life as one of the foremost Conference Centres and Hotel in the North of England. As they say "the rest is history".
The Weetwood Hall Sculpture
In 2005 the decision was taken to overhaul the turning circle at Weetwood Hall. The concept of a sculpture was agreed in the space in the middle of the turning circle.
A new piece of artwork that would capture the essence of Weetwood Hall was commissioned, using the inspirational sculptor, Steve Blaylock, whose unique metal work had been well acclaimed in many places. Steve proposed a cairn of Yorkshire stone supporting an oak tree of steel and bronze crowned by three magnificent owls.
The emblem of the three owls has been the official symbol of Leeds since the 1660's. It was originally the coat of arms of a knight called Sir John Saville, the first Alderman of the City. The owls at Weetwood Hall echo the gold statuary that adorns the Leeds City Council building.
It took five months to complete the structure which rises 16 feet above the surrounding garden. The base is decorated with perennials and spotlights to complement the work.
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Tel: +44 (0)1483 776344Fax: +44 (0)1483 730202
From the M1 - Leave M1 at J43 onto M621 then leave at J3 for city centre. Follow signs for 'All loop traffic' then follow signs for Leeds University/A660. Stay on A660 until you come to the junction of the A6120. Take 4th exit and then turn left into Weetwood Hall.
From the A1 - Follow signs for Leeds/Bradford Airport along the A6120 northern ring-road. At Lawnswood roundabout take 1st exit. Turn left into Weetwood Hall.
From Leeds Bradford Airport - Turn right out of airport and turn right again. At roundabout take 1st exit onto Whitehouse Lane. At roundabout take 3rd exit onto A658. Turn right at traffic lights onto the A660 and follow signs to city centre. At the Lawnswood roundabout take 2nd exit and then turn left into Weetwood Hall.
By Air: Leeds Bradford Airport (4 miles)
Manchester International Airport (58 miles)
By Rail: Leeds City Centre Railway Station (4 miles)
Make the most out of the summer sunshine and steal away to the comfort of the Weetwood Hotel for a luxurious getaway for two from £49.75 per person, per night.
From £99.50 Per room per night
Fax: +44 (0)1483 73 02 02