Marygreen Manor Hotel is the highest rated 4-star hotel in Brentwood, Essex. The original main house dates back to Tudor times and has fascinating period features. Today the hotel offers exceptional fine dining and quality accommodation, with many rooms looking onto its beautiful courtyard garden. Marygreen Manor Hotel is one mile from Junction 28 of the M25 motorway. Its location provides excellent access to Central London and both Bluewater and Lakeside shopping centres. Shenfield Railway Station is 2.5 miles away with a direct rail link to London Liverpool Street in under 30 minutes.
Marygreen Manor Hotel in Brentwood combines its historic 16th century Tudor heritage with contemporary accommodation around its attractive courtyard garden and grounds. The main building is full of original Tudor features, including an abundance of oak beams and was originally the home of Henry Roper, gentleman servant to Catherine of Aragon. The lounge with its ornate ceilings and wood panelled walls has a roaring log fire in the winter months.
The deluxe Courtyard rooms are all air-conditioned with high speed broadband internet access, and are well equipped for added comfort. They open out onto the peaceful secluded courtyard garden with its trees, shrubs and flowers. The Brampton Lodge comprises of luxurious air-conditioned bedrooms and suites, each individually designed in the 'country house' style, with high speed broadband.
The Tudor suites and rooms are situated in the main house and have many original period features, and are either Four Poster or antique hand carved beds. There are also a dozen serviced one and two bedroom apartments.
The award winning Tudors Restaurant is in the grand Baronial Hall of the original building, with stain glass windows, large barley twist columns and a vast high beamed vaulted ceiling. Its outstanding cuisine, and selection of 200 wines, won the 'Best Hotel Restaurant' accolade at the Essex Food & Drink Awards 2009.
Afternoon teas and snacks are served in the tranquil gardens or conservatory in the warmer months, and by the open log fire in the oak panelled lounge in the winter.
There are seven meeting rooms with a capacity of up to 50 delegates theatre style and up to 80 people for banqueting.
Attractions not to be missed in the area are Brentwood Cathedral and Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker in Brentwood, the secret home of central government and military commanders in the event of a nuclear attack during the Cold War!
Rooms are split between the main 16th Century Tudor House, Brampton Lodge and the Courtyard, each offering their own unique and special features. Full of orginal Tudor features, the bedrooms in the Main House combine 16th Century Tudor heritage with contemporary accommodation; bedrooms in Brampton Lodge are designed in a more luxury Country House style and finally the Courtyard rooms open out onto a peaceful, secluded courtyard garden with its trees, shrubs and flowers. All 56 rooms feature tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, high speed internet access, international direct dial telephone, iron and ironing board, key card access, radio, razor electrical socket, smoke alarms, television and trouser press. All bedrooms are non-smoking.
Since the early 13th century, a sequence of quite prestigious timber-framed single residences have existed on the site where Marygreen Manor now stands. The first owner, Sir William de Bruyn, a neighbouring manorial Lord, created the small Manor of Brook Street of some 150 acres centred on the hamlet, which lay alongside a lively brook and Roman Road. The estate was managed from the house, which was surrounded by a large rectangular moat. Succeeding generations of the de Bruyn family and the families of Tyrrell and Harleston maintained an interest in Brook Street until the mid 16th century.
In the late 15th century, a family named Roper farmed the Manor of Brook Street and Henry Roper greatly enhanced the moated house, which he called The Place. He became an important officer in the royal household of Catherine of Aragon, the first wife of King Henry VIII and it seems likely that both she and her husband were visitors to The Place. After the death of Henry Roper, The Place remained in his family until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII when the chantry and it's land came under the jurisdiction of the Duchy of Lancaster. Soon afterwards, John Wright of nearby Kelvedon Hall, held The Place and 80 acres of the Chantry lands and one of his sons, Robert, actually lived there.
Robert gave the name Brook Hall to the moated house and in 1535 named the estate the Manor of Mary Green after his new bride. This branch of the wealthy Wright family lived in the house for nearly 200 years during which time it was renamed the Moat House and was considerably improved and modified in accordance with changing designs and fashions. The House as it stood around the year 1580, during the time of Robert and Mary Wright, is the essential core of the old house that forms part of Marygreen Manor today. The famous diarist Samuel Pepys was a friend of the Wrights and probably knew the Moat House from his many visits to the area in the 1660's. Some members of the Wright family emigrated to the New World between 1630 and 1640 and it seems that two of their descendents, Wilbur and Orvill Wright, were the famous pioneers of air flight.
After the Wrights, from 1723 until well into the 19th century, the story of the Manor of Mary Green is mainly one of absentee landlords and yeoman farmers. Various owners made improvements to the house during that time and in 1840 the railway track was driven through part of the land. Over the following century, the house was the elegant home of businessmen and others, retired or otherwise. During World War II, the house was requisitioned for use by the Army and in the 1950's was given a facelift by the removal of the external plaster to reveal the original timbers as they were at the time of Robert and Mary Wright.
The house first became a hotel in 1968 and with the construction of the additional buildings in keeping with it's Tudor tradition, was called The Moat House. In 1994, the ownership of the hotel was acquired by the then manager Paul Pearson who reverted to the old name Marygreen Manor.
Marygreen Manor Hotel
Tel: +44 (0)1483 776344Fax: +44 (0)1483 730202
From Stansted Airport - Start out on Terminal Road North At Molehill Green roundabout take the 3rd exit onto Terminal Road South (signposted Way Out, M11). At Coopers End Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Thremhall Avenue (signposted Way Out, M11, A120). At Bassington Roundabout take the 2nd exit, then merge onto the A120 (signposted Way Out, M11, A120). Continue forward , then merge onto the A120 (signposted London, Harlow). Continue forward, then join the M11 motorway. Leave the M11 at Junction 6, then join the M25 motorway (signposted Dartford Crossing). Leave the M25 at Junction 28, signposted for 'Brentwood'. Take the road off the roundabout, signposted for 'Brentwood A1023' (not A12). You should now be on Brook Street. You will see the 'Holiday Inn' on your left. Proceed straight through two sets of traffic lights. The hotel is situated 200 yards on the right hand side. It is a black and white Tudor building set back from the road with a large car park in front.
From the M25 Motorway - Leave the M25 at Junction 28, signposted for 'Brentwood'. Take the road off the roundabout, signposted for 'Brentwood A1023' (not A12). You should now be on Brook Street. You will see the 'Holiday Inn' on your left. Proceed straight through two sets of traffic lights. The hotel is situated 200 yards on the right hand side. It is a black and white Tudor building set back from the road with a large car park in front.
From Brentwood Railway Station - Start out on Alexandra Road. Turn left onto Rose Valley,then turn left onto King Edward Road. After 100 m turn right onto Kings Road (B186). At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto Kings Road (B185) and continue for 20 m. At the next roundabout take the 1st exit onto Kings Road (B185). At the traffic signals turn left onto the A1023 and proceed down London Road. The hotel is on the left hand side. It is a black and white Tudor building set back from the road with a large car park in front.
By Train: Brentwood Railway Station (1.3 miles)
Shenfield Railway Station (2.5 miles)
By Air: London Stansted Airport (27 miles)
London Luton Airport (46 miles)
London Gatwick Airport (47 miles)
London Heathrow Airport (55 miles)
Play on a truly outstanding course - Maylands 18-hole, par-71 championship golf course was expertly designed by world famous golf course architect, Harry Colt, in 1936. Break includes transfer to and from Maylands Golf Club; 1 x round of 18 holes of golf per person; light snack at Maylands 200 year old club house; mouth-watering dinner from the du jour menu in the 2 AA Rosette awarded restaurant, luxury accommodation and full English breakfast. From £104.00 per person, per night.
From £208.00 Per room per nightGolf Tuition Package
Ready to take your game to the next level? Marygreen Manor have teamed up with Maylands Golf Club to offer you a golf training break. Break includes 1 x hour golf tuition with Maylands PGA Head Professional; light snack in 200 year old club house; transfer to and from the Maylands and Marygreen Manor; mouth-watering dinner from the du jour menu in the 2 AA Rosette awarded restaurant, luxury accommodation and full English breakfast. From £109.00 per person, per night.
From £218.00 Per room per night
Fax: +44 (0)1483 73 02 02